Wednesday meetings and Thursday workshop
Following Government advice as you will be aware, social contact is being severely restricted as a result of Covid-19 so physical meetings and the worskshop are currently cancelled, however ………
Formby U3A is organising a series of Speaker Meetings via Zoom. We will be telling members how to register in the regular emails,
Wednesday November 11 at 2pm “The Art Of Trickery: How Magicians are seen in Paintings, Prints & Cartoons” by Ian Keable
Wednesday December 9 at 2pm (NB usual week as Christmas Show cancelled) “LADIES OF THE AIR’ Subtitle: Grandma Flew Spitfires: the story of women in the history of flight.” by Tim Young. Tim is a U3A member in Eastern England.
January 13th 2021 at 2pm “Cunard History and Glamorous Stars” – Steve Herra
- it is based upon the history of Cunard from 1840 until the present day and includes some of the more famous liners but not all as there were nearly 250!
- I also talk about some of the celebrities and stars who sailed aboard Cunard ships.
- What did Charles Dickens think about the furnishings aboard Britannia?
- Which actress brought her gleaming white Rolls Royce on board Queen Mary and her own chickens as she demanded fresh eggs each day?
- When at a New York function, what was the reply to the lady who described Elizabeth Taylor’s very large diamond ring as vulgar?
Wednesday 10th Feb 2021 at 2 pm – Fool’s Gold ( Acoustic Musicians)
Our shows are a bit different as they are usually not just a straight music recital. Our shows are themed and each song fits the theme and has a strong story attached to it. The stories are told, supported by projected visuals, the song is played live (supported by more visuals) and usually there is plenty of opportunity to join in
Meetings (when running) are usually held on the second Wednesday of each month (except August – no meeting) in Holy Trinity Parish Hall at 2pm and normally last just over an hour (please see map at the bottom of the page for Wednesday and Thursday locations)
Please remember to bring your current membership card to show at each event and activity – for 2020 the card is GREEN
Weather permitting (!) the book and jigsaw exchange will be available in Holy Trinity car park just outside the Workshop each month at the time we would normally have our monthly coffee morning.
Please come and visit and bring us your old books and jigsaws.
Monthly Workshop (when running)
Members are sometimes a bit puzzled by what happens at ‘The Workshop’ on the Thursday following the Wednesday meeting (except August) and wonder what WORK we do there! So…….… here’s some enlightenment.
The ‘Workshop’ is the small modern building behind Flames, from Chapel Lane go through Holy Trinity gate and it is on your left. It’s open from 10.30am to 12 Noon.
Here a few reasons to call in:
- Free cup of tea or coffee
- Pick up your monthly Newsletter and collect Newsletters for your Group
- Meet representatives from your Committee
- Find out about new groups
- Read the information about all our groups in the files which our Group Secretary, has kindly compiled
- Enjoy the talks and presentations that are sometimes arranged by your Committee
- Obtain information about National U3A courses from our Secretary
- If any concert or theatre trips are being planned, usually someone is available to collect names and payment
- Meet members from other groups
- The inaugural meeting of new groups sometimes takes place in ‘The Workshop’
- Pay your £9 annual membership fee in January or February
Please pop in you will be most welcome