The website links below are Charities and Official bodies which your Committee feel may be of particular interest to Formby U3A members
● Age UK – Age UK is the organisation formed from Age Concern and Help the Aged. Its is the largest charity working with and for older people.
● Anxiety UK – is a national registered charity formed in 1970, by someone living with agoraphobia, for those affected by anxiety, stress and anxiety based depression.
● Befrienders – Sefton – Age Concern Liverpool and Sefton, the local charity dedicated to providing practical help and support to improve the well being of people aged 50 and over, are welcoming volunteers to become Befrienders to join our Befriending and Re-ablement team.
If you are a good listener, enjoy meeting and talking to new people and have an hour or two to spare a week then this role is for you. Our Befriending and Re-ablement service assists anyone over 50, living in Sefton, who has become isolated or lonely. Befrienders can meet clients in their home and have a chat, go for a walk or whatever they would both like to do. We carefully match volunteers and clients based on mutual interests, hobbies and their preferences to ensure a lasting friendship
Volunteering as a Befriender can bring many benefits such as a great opportunity to meet new friends, build your confidence, enhance existing or gain new skills, whilst making an important contribution to your local community.
● Government Direct – This is a government website giving information and advice on a large range of subjects including many of possible particular interest to U3A members including retirement, pension planning, health, benefits, care and disabilities.
● Formby Civic Society – fostering and preserving the identity of Formby, to safeguard its natural amenities and to assist with the development of its cultural activities, particularly its history
● National U3A – Self-help organisation for people no longer in full-time employment providing educational, creative and leisure opportunities in a friendly environment.
● Queenscourt Hospice – provides services to the population of Southport and Formby as well as offering volunteering opportunities
● Sefton Cancer Support Group
We are a charity that has been in Formby for some 25 years and exist to care for anybody who is suffering from Cancer in all its forms, we also provide service to their carers as well. We open from 10-16.00 Mon-Thurs and Friday 10-13.00. We provide a drop-in for refreshments ever day, ability for private conversations to identify needs or just to chat. Complimentary therapies are available if needed. Please be aware, you are never alone we are always available to help and support you. We are at – 1 Duke St, Formby L37 4AL Tel: 01704 879352
● Sefton Citizens Advice – The Citizens Advice service helps people to resolve their problems by providing free advice and influencing policy makers. The main areas of advice are Benefits, Debt, Consumer, Employment, Relationships and Housing.
● Sefton Council – For details of all local government services and news items